A Volunteer's Perspective: Geocaching

Citizen scientist Ann Thiel sent in this report on why she participates in Eyes on the Wild.

I log in from the very non-exotic location of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but I would like to share one of the reasons I really enjoy this project. I am a Geocacher. Geocaching, as you may know, utilizes GPS technology to find containers hidden all around the world. Many of these containers are in parks and wilderness areas. Geocachers share a love of adventure and the outdoors, and have an unfettered determination to “find the next cache”. For me, this transfers nicely to the Eyes on the Wild project, particularly since it is winter and I’m not getting outdoors as much. While viewing the images, I am virtually outdoors, with the added bonus of seeing wildlife I would rarely if ever see in person. I zip through the “human or vehicle” and “nothing there” segments in pursuit of the next animal or bird, and when I find one, especially if it’s a canid or turkey, my joy replicates the feeling experienced when I find a cache.

For more information on Geocaching, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wikiGeocaching and https://www.geocaching.com/play/search  


Interested in geocaching and exploring Cedar Creek at the same time? There are five geocaches located along our public nature trail at Fish Lake! The trail is open dawn to dusk year-round, and if you are in the area please do stop by. We'd love to give you a chance to experience the thrill Ann describes! Info about the trail, including directions is on our website.

Comments

  1. You are a very eloquent speaker! I really enjoyed your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Caitlyn Potter, for including my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a geocacher too (oakwilt) and live close to Cedar Creek. I found the caches there in 2010 and have never been back. The pictures look so green after all the snow we have right now. I just got home after finding a couple of caches and DNFing one (Did Not Find), a regular under a fallen tree covered with 8 inches of snow. I need to get back to looking at pictures from my nice warm home. I will have to return to Cedar Creek to walk the trail again from a different perspective, probably in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment