Volunteer Perspective: Eyes on Cedar Creek and My Backyard

this blog post was contributed by Gloria Ren, a volunteer and project moderator from Virginia


I’m lucky enough to have a forest for a backyard, but most people don’t get it. There’s no pool, no playground, no trampoline, not even a deck, so what could I possibly be so grateful for? The fact that I have two homes: a house for me and my family and a forest for the plentiful wildlife that mimics that of Cedar Creek’s! 

Throughout the year, I get to observe families of deer, birds, and even turkeys grow before my very eyes! It’s so fascinating catching a glimpse of juvenile animals a few times a month and seeing them grow up into adults to make families of their own. 


For example, the adult turkeys were babies just months ago and now already have their own! They regularly congregate around my yard and it’s always a treat to look out the window and see them peacefully walking around. 


Once in a blue moon, the bears come out to say hello too!

I’ve grown up watching wildlife from a distance. As they grow and interact, and as they come and go. That’s what makes Cedar Creek: Eyes on the Wild so special to me. It’s such an amazing opportunity to learn about the life that surrounds us by observing them in their natural habitat. I get the same excitement looking at animals through Cedar Creek’s lovely photos that I get looking at animals from my magical forest!

This is a huge family of turkeys at Cedar Creek!


And this is a black bear roaming through the woods!



I not only get to see what I see at home but much much more!!




Nature is truly such a beautiful gift and I’m so glad I get to experience it! 



Want to share your experiences volunteering on the project? Email Caitlin (caitlin@umn.edu) with your text and we'll help fill in the images!

Comments

  1. I'm a bit (a lot!) jealous of your backyard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! Jealous of your backyard ;) since I live in Chicago suburbia --- but I love my hummingbird visitors to my feeders...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment